BIRT Conference 2017
September 27, 2017 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Hilton Glasgow 1 William Street Glasgow, G3 8HT
The Brain Injury Rehabilitation Trust (BIRT) invites you to be a part of the UK’s leading brain injury conference: The BIRT Conference 2017, our internationally renowned biennial event. We are delighted to be hosting the seventh conference in the vibrant city of Glasgow for the first time.
Leading brain injury rehabilitation experts, academics and practitioners from around the globe will be speaking. They will examine and share pioneering developments, ideas and research about the rehabilitation of people with brain injury.
Day one includes keynote plenary sessions, practical workshops and symposia, plus the opportunity to participate in debate and discussion, learn new techniques and share good practice. On day two, you can choose four of the 11 workshops / symposia running simultaneously throughout the day. You can attend parts of all 11 sessions if you prefer. This renowned event will give you ideas, inspiration and practical approaches to use in your work with people with acquired brain injury (ABI).
View the full BIRT Conference 2017 brochure
- Hear the latest research about emotion technology from world renowned scientist Dr Rosalind Picard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, then discover what our teams have been doing in this field in the UK in the ‘Thinking Technology’ symposium.
- Join a team of ‘movers and shakers’ in health and rehabilitation research in our Live Research Lab, to learn and have your say about the roadmap to making brain injury rehabilitation ever better.
- Learn the current theory of executive functioning and rehabilitation from internationally recognised expert Professor Brian Levine, University of Toronto, then find out how this can be put into practice in his Goal Management Therapy workshop.
- Be inspired by Professor Jon Evans’ keynote presentation about positive psychology, and his ideas for practical interventions in the workshop on Day 2.
- Question and challenge our expert panel members (scientists, legal and sporting representatives) in our (BBC style) ‘Question Time on Concussion’. We promise an enlightening and stimulating debate!
- Understand how Professor Russell Bauer, University of Florida, has matched specific memory interventions to individual patients.
- Discover how to embed ABI research project in your practice with our step-by-step guide, including handy hints and tips.
- Network informally with peers and other professionals, and share good practice during formal sessions and debates.
Who should attend
The BIRT Conference 2017 is aimed at professionals working in, or with an interest in acquired brain injury, including:
- clinical psychologists and neuropsychologists
- rehabilitation medicine specialists, neurologists, psychiatrists, GPs
- physiotherapists, speech and language therapists
- occupational therapists, therapy assistants
- statutory, private and voluntary sector care and rehabilitation providers
- rehabilitation support workers,
- social workers, care managers and case managers
- personal injury lawyers
- representatives from CCGs and CSUs
- representatives from NHS England and Health Boards in Scotland and Wales
- researchers and academics with an interest in brain injury and neurorehabilitation, as well as those who want to develop knowledge about brain injury rehabilitation.
The BIRT Conference 2017 aims to provide solid knowledge for those who work with people who have acquired brain injury. The learning outcomes the conference offers are:
- To be updated on the latest international practices in brain injury rehabilitation
- To create awareness of the latest technology available for assessment, rehabilitation and long-term support of individuals with an acquired brain injury and their families
- To learn about scientific developments and their implications for brain injury rehabilitation
- To take part in sharing the latest research in brain injury rehabilitation
Ceilidh evening (with a twist)
Wednesday 27th September 2017
We could not have the BIRT Conference in Scotland without a ceilidh! Join us for this traditional Scottish gathering, a fabulous evening of celebration when you’ll have the chance to unwind, enjoy delicious food... and have some fun!
Music will be provided by the fabulous Reel Time Ceilidh Band, who have amazed audiences worldwide with their modern and funky take on traditional Scottish music.
A selection of not quite traditional, delicious, Scottish fare will be served, along with a glass of fizz to help the evening along. With dancing, good company and plenty of laughter, we promise a fun filled lively evening where you can relax and enjoy time with acquaintances, friends and colleagues.
Ticket price: £45 which includes a Scottish buffet, the live band, and a glass of Prosecco.
For assistance in booking accommodation, including securing preferential rates at Hilton Glasgow, please contact Compass Venues email@example.com or call 01924 265 555.
Due to limited parking at Hilton Glasgow and in order to be environmentally friendly, we encourage delegates to travel by public transport if at all possible. Please click for more information on transport and accommodation.
For all conference enquiries please email: BIRTconference@thedtgroup.org or tel: 01924 269403